September unveils a unique opportunity for travel enthusiasts to create cherished memories while savouring the final remnants of summer warmth. As temperatures ease into a comfortable embrace, the allure of travel remains intact, offering a budget-friendly period with fewer crowds. This is your chance to explore destinations without the hustle and bustle of peak season, allowing for more personal connections and unhurried experiences.
For younger, solo, or retired travellers, September provides a tranquil escape from the hustle of family vacations. Embrace the privilege of a more intimate encounter with local cultures and traditions. As schools reopen and summer vacations conclude, extend the spirit of summer a little longer and let adventure guide you. September also brings authenticity to your journey. With locals returning home, you're poised to engage in genuine interactions, gaining insights that extend beyond the surface. This month ensures smoother travel experiences as lines at airports, restaurants, and attractions shrink, maximising your time for exploration.
If you yearn for an extended taste of summer's joys, September is your canvas to paint. Join us as we unveil a curated selection of the best September destinations, where untamed landscapes and cultural treasures await. Let this be a fitting farewell to summer, a time to rejuvenate your spirit, and a chapter to be cherished in your travel tales.
Close to Home: 1-3 Hours Away
September in Ireland continues to see longer days, as well as the peak of the festival season. From the raucous vibes of the Electric Picnic to the captivating performances of the Dublin Theatre Festival, there's no shortage of entertainment. Amidst the festivity, Ireland's incredible and dramatic scenery remains an ever-present backdrop.
- Giant’s Causeway: A natural wonder of the world, the Giant's Causeway is a geological marvel composed of hexagonal basalt columns. Formed by volcanic activity, this UNESCO World Heritage site is steeped in both scientific intrigue and mythical tales.
- Glenveagh National Park: Nestled in the heart of the Derryveagh Mountains, Glenveagh National Park is a landscape of striking beauty. With pristine lakes, picturesque valleys, and the elegant Glenveagh Castle at its centre, it's a paradise for hikers and nature enthusiasts.
- Inishowen Peninsula: This remote and unspoiled peninsula is a treasure trove of natural beauty. From the rugged coastline and windswept beaches to the charming towns and ancient ruins, Inishowen Peninsula offers a glimpse into Ireland's rich history and stunning landscapes.
Recommended tour: Donegal and the Giants Causeway
Top tip: As temperatures rarely exceed 15 degrees in September, don't forget to pack a warm coat and a waterproof layer for your Irish adventure.
Portugal in September offers warm days that are ideal for beach lounging, complemented by the bustling grape harvest and the freedom to explore major attractions at your leisure.
- Póvoa de Varzim: This coastal gem boasts a charming fishing heritage and a lively cultural scene. Explore the cobblestone streets, indulge in fresh seafood, and soak up the sun on the sandy shores.
- Porto: Set on the banks of the Douro River, Porto is a city of contrasts. Its historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage site, adorned with colourful buildings and intricate tiles. Don't miss the chance to sample the world-famous port wine in its birthplace.
- Douro Valley: A tapestry of terraced vineyards and rolling hills, the Douro Valley is a wine lover's paradise. Embark on a leisurely cruise along the river, visit family-run wineries, and savour the breathtaking vistas.
Recommended tour: Hidden Portugal
Top tip: Many establishments in Portugal prefer cash payments, so it's wise to keep some Euros on hand for a seamless experience.
The best thing about going to Spain in September? It’s the fact that you can avoid the scorching heat, allowing you to embrace the country's rich cultural offerings and natural beauty without the overwhelming warmth, or crowds.
- Seville: The capital of Andalusia, Seville is a city of passion and history. Explore the Alcazar Palace, marvel at the Gothic Seville Cathedral, and lose yourself in the narrow alleys of the Santa Cruz quarter.
- Granada: Home to the iconic Alhambra palace, Granada is a captivating blend of Moorish and Spanish influences. Wander through the Generalife Gardens and relish the panoramic views from the Alhambra's towers.
- Ronda: Perched dramatically on a cliff overlooking a deep gorge, Ronda is a town of stunning vistas. Cross the historic Puente Nuevo bridge, explore the medieval streets, and visit the oldest bullring in Spain.
Recommended tour: Seville, Granada and Classic Spain
Top tip: Be sure to pack a comfortable pair of walking shoes as you traverse the charming streets and picturesque landscapes of Andalusia.
Going to France in September offers the perfect weather for immersing yourself in stunning ancient attractions, ensuring a cultural journey that beautifully concludes the summer.
- Carcassonne: Transport yourself to a mediaeval fairy tale in Carcassonne. The walled city, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is an architectural marvel with its turrets, cobbled streets, and romantic atmosphere.
- Avignon: Explore the city of the Popes, Avignon, and marvel at the grand Palais des Papes. The iconic bridge, Pont Saint-Bénézet, immortalised in the song "Sur le Pont d'Avignon," is another must-see.
- Collioure: This charming coastal town captivates with its artistic ambiance and stunning Mediterranean views. Wander through the vibrant streets, relax on the pebbly beaches, and visit the impressive Château Royal.
Recommended tour: Carcassonne, Avignon and Beautiful Provence
Top tip: During your free time in Carcassonne, take a leisurely stroll along the riverside path that runs beside the Aude River for a picturesque experience.
Further Afield: 3-6 Hours Away
September presents the perfect opportunity for families to enjoy the wonders of Cyprus, with delightful temperatures for relaxation, as well as a treasure trove of historical sites to uncover.
- Kyrenia: Discover the picturesque harbour town of Kyrenia, where a mediaeval castle and charming alleys await your discovery. The Kyrenia Castle houses the Shipwreck Museum, showcasing a 4th-century BC Greek merchant vessel.
- Famagusta: Delve into the ancient city of Famagusta, where well-preserved ruins and historic buildings tell tales of a rich past. The Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque, once the Gothic Cathedral of St. Nicholas, stands as an architectural marvel.
- Nicosia: Discover the divided capital city of Nicosia, where you can walk through history as you cross the Green Line into the Turkish-occupied side. The Selimiye Mosque, originally the Cathedral of Saint Sophia, is a testament to the island's diverse heritage.
Recommended tour: Hidden Secrets of Northern Cyprus
Top tip: If you're dreaming of azure waters for your honeymoon but seeking affordability, Cyprus in September offers a delightful compromise.\
September grants you the ideal climate to explore the marvels of Egypt, as you delve into the depths of history while enjoying a comfortable temperature and thinning crowds.
- Pyramids at Giza: Stand in awe before the iconic Pyramids at Giza and the enigmatic Sphinx, symbols of Egypt's ancient legacy. The Great Pyramid, built for Pharaoh Khufu, remains one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Valley of the Kings: Venture into the Valley of the Kings, where the tombs of pharaohs and nobles offer glimpses into a bygone era. The intricate hieroglyphics and preserved treasures within these tombs continue to amaze.
- Cairo: Immerse yourself in the bustling energy of Cairo, where millennia of history intertwine with modern life. Visit the Egyptian Museum to witness Tutankhamun's treasures and explore the vibrant Khan el-Khalili bazaar.
Recommended tour: Cairo, Luxor and Nile Cruise
Top tip: There will be lots of people trying to convince you to pay money for free attractions: try and ignore them and only pay when your Newmarket Holidays guide says it’s necessary.
Why visit Turkey in September? Well, this month offers the perfect climate for exploring a captivating mix of culture, shopping, and culinary delights, all set against the backdrop of ancient, Mediterranean history.
- Istanbul: Traverse the captivating metropolis of Istanbul, where East meets West and historic landmarks like the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque await. The Grand Bazaar offers an immersive shopping experience with its labyrinthine alleys.
- Troy: Unravel the myths of ancient Troy as you explore its archaeological ruins, evoking the tales of Helen and the Trojan Horse. The legendary city's history and significance continue to capture the imagination.
- Ephesus: Step back in time in Ephesus, a remarkably preserved ancient city with grand theatres, intricate temples, and remarkable architecture. The Library of Celsus and the Great Theatre stand as testaments to Ephesus' grandeur.
Recommended tour: Istanbul and Ephesus and Troy
Top tip: Enhance your experience by brushing up on your classical literature before visiting, to truly appreciate the historical significance of the region.
As September ushers in its magic, holding onto the summer warmth but without the crowds, consider these captivating destinations that promise unforgettable experiences. Whether you're drawn to the allure of Ireland's dramatic landscapes or the ancient wonders of Egypt, this is your time to embark on a journey of discovery, culture, and adventure. Bon voyage!