August, with its warm weather and school holidays, is the perfect time for a well-deserved vacation. Whether you seek relaxation, cultural immersion, or a rendezvous with nature, we've got you covered. In this guide, we'll take you on an exciting journey through the best destinations to visit in August, providing you with reasons to explore, highlighting the top attractions, and offering invaluable tips for a memorable experience.
Best Spots For a Relaxing Getaway
Italy, especially the captivating region of Tuscany, is an ideal destination for summer holidays in August. The country is known for its diverse offerings, from cultural marvels to idyllic beaches, ensuring you get exactly what you want from your holiday.
- Beaches and Historic Cities: In Tuscany, you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Relax on the beautiful beaches of Viareggio or Forte dei Marmi, and then explore the iconic cities of Florence, Pisa, and Siena. Each city boasts unique historical landmarks, art galleries, and charming streets to wander.
- Tuscan Cuisine and Wine: Indulge in the delightful Tuscan cuisine, including fresh pasta, succulent meats, and local cheeses. Pair your meals with some of Italy's finest wines, such as Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino, produced in the vineyards that blanket the region.
- Rolling Hills and Vineyards: The iconic rolling hills of Tuscany offer scenic drives and leisurely walks, perfect for soaking in the countryside views. Visit vineyards and wineries to taste exceptional wines while surrounded by picturesque landscapes.
Recommended tour: Tuscany
Top tip: Though it is a popular destination, it’s easy to find gems off the beaten path in Tuscany - just simply turn down a cobblestone street and you’ll often find peace and quiet.
Croatia, one of Europe's up-and-coming destinations, offers the best of both worlds for holidays in August. With warm Mediterranean waters and fascinating cities, it promises a unique and fulfilling vacation experience.
- Dubrovnik's Old Town: Explore the charming Old Town of Dubrovnik, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with its well-preserved mediaeval walls and impressive Baroque architecture. Walk along the city walls for panoramic views of the Adriatic Sea.
- Krka National Park: Inland from the coast, visit Krka National Park, home to magnificent waterfalls, turquoise lakes, and lush forests. Take a refreshing dip in the clear waters of the Krka River, surrounded by cascading waterfalls.
- Islands and Beaches: Croatia boasts a myriad of stunning islands along the Dalmatian Coast. Hvar, Brac, and Vis are popular choices, offering crystal-clear waters, hidden coves, and vibrant nightlife.
Recommended tour: Dubrovnik, Montenegro and the Dalmation Coast
Top tip: To make the most of your visit, don't forget to carry some Euros, as many places in Croatia still prefer cash payments.
Greece, with its extraordinary weather and warm Mediterranean waters gently caressed by a refreshing breeze, becomes an idyllic summer holiday destination in August.
- Aegina Island: Relax on Aegina Island, enjoying picture-perfect beaches and swimming in brilliantly-blue seas.
- Thessaloniki: Known as a mecca for foodies, dine on delicious Greek cuisine and tour ancient historical sites from the Roman, Ottoman and Byzantine periods.
- Delphi: Tour sacred Delphi, site of the oracle consulted for her wise advice for hundreds of years.
Recommended tour: Greek Island Hopping Adventure
Top tip: Be sure to pack multiple swimming costumes, as you'll be spending a considerable amount of time in the water.
Best Spots for Culture
Austria presents an excellent opportunity for cultural exploration and outdoor strolls, with fewer crowds than other areas of Europe.
- Imperial Palaces: Vienna is home to majestic imperial palaces, including the Schönbrunn Palace and the Hofburg Palace. Wander through their opulent halls and beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Museums and Art Galleries: Vienna houses world-class museums and art galleries, such as the Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Albertina, housing masterpieces by renowned artists like Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele.
- Music and Opera: As the birthplace of Mozart and Beethoven, Vienna's music legacy is celebrated with daily classical concerts and breathtaking opera performances at the Vienna State Opera House.
Recommended tour: Prague, Vienna and Budapest
Top tip: If you love classical music, a visit to Schönbrunn Palace is a must, since a young Mozart used to perform there.
August is the ideal time to visit Northern Ireland, offering the best weather to explore its dramatic landscapes and vibrant cities.
- Titanic Quarter: Visit the Titanic Quarter, home to the Titanic Belfast museum, which explores the tragic history of the RMS Titanic. Walk along the slipways where the ship was built and learn about its construction.
- Political Murals: Take a Black Cab Tour to discover the city's political murals, reflecting Northern Ireland's tumultuous history. Gain insight into the Troubles and the peace process that transformed the city.
- Giant's Causeway: Venture to the Giant's Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to marvel at the otherworldly basalt columns formed by volcanic activity.
Recommended tour: Belfast and the Titanic Experience
Top tip: Though its August, Belfast is still notorious for rain, so pack appropriately!
Tennessee's warm evenings and an array of events make it an inviting destination for cultural enthusiasts and music lovers in August.
- Vibrant Evenings: Tennessee's warm August evenings create a vibrant atmosphere, perfect for exploring the bustling cities and enjoying late-night entertainment.
- Music Heritage: Tennessee, known as the birthplace of country music, jazz, and rock 'n' roll, is a haven for music enthusiasts. Delve into the musical legacy of legends like Elvis Presley, with a visit to Graceland in Memphis.
- Civil Rights History: The state also holds significant historical sites related to the civil rights movement, providing educational insights into this pivotal era in American history.
Recommended tour: Elvis Presley's Memphis, New Orleans and Nashville
Top tip: If you’re wanting a drink of Iced Tea, they call it Sweet Tea down in Tennessee.
Best Spots for Wildlife and Nature
Scotland's lush green hills and warm August weather provide a feast for the eyes and a comfortable environment for your summer getaway.
- Loch Ness: Cruise on the famous Loch Ness to hunt for the mythical Loch Ness Monster and enjoy the stunning Highland scenery.
- Glencoe: Explore the dramatic Glen Coe valley, surrounded by towering mountains and awe-inspiring waterfalls.
- Highland Wildlife: Keep an eye out for the elusive red deer, golden eagles, and red squirrels, as the Highlands are home to diverse wildlife.
Recommended tour: Scottish Highland Railways
Top tip: Don't forget to bring binoculars to spot local birds and wildlife amidst the picturesque landscape.
Norway's notoriously beautiful summers and nearly endless days make it an excellent choice for nature lovers in August.
- Bergen: Explore the charming city of Bergen, with its historic Bryggen wharf, colorful wooden houses, and vibrant fish market. Take the funicular to Mount Fløyen for panoramic views of the city and surrounding fjords.
- Jostedal Fjord: Discover the majestic Jostedal Fjord, the largest glacier in continental Europe. Embark on a glacier hike or boat tour to witness the awe-inspiring ice formations and serene beauty of this natural wonder.
- Balestrand: Immerse yourself in the tranquility of Balestrand, a picturesque village nestled between the Sognefjord and majestic mountains. Wander through lush gardens, visit historic stave churches, and soak in the breathtaking fjord views.
Recommended tour: Beautiful Fjords of Western Norway
Top tip: Bring extra layers! Even though the days are long, you never know when the temperature will dip.
South Africa, with its comfortable spring temperatures and dry season in national parks, is perfect for wildlife enthusiasts in August.
- Safari Adventure: Embark on an unforgettable safari experience in Kruger National Park, home to the famous Big Five (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros). Witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat, as well as an array of other wildlife, including giraffes, zebras, and wildebeests.
- Blyde River Canyon: Marvel at the breathtaking Blyde River Canyon, one of the largest green canyons in the world. Take in the panoramic views from viewpoints such as God's Window and Three Rondavels, which offer awe-inspiring vistas of lush landscapes and dramatic rock formations.
- Drakensberg Mountain Range: Explore the stunning Drakensberg Mountain Range, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Hike through its picturesque valleys and take in the beauty of its towering peaks, cascading waterfalls, and ancient rock art.
Recommended tour: On Safari in Kruger National Park
Top tip: Don’t be afraid to try different types of meat: you may be surprised by what you enjoy!
In August, Ecuador experiences less rainfall than the rest of the year, providing an excellent opportunity for nature enthusiasts to enjoy trekking through national parks and ecological reserves.
- Cotopaxi National Park: Hike through the stunning Cotopaxi National Park, home to the Cotopaxi volcano, one of the highest active volcanoes in the world.
- Amazon Rainforest: Embark on an Amazon adventure in Yasuni National Park, where you can spot a myriad of wildlife, including monkeys, macaws, and pink river dolphins.
- Otavalo Market: Visit the famous Otavalo Market, known for its vibrant indigenous crafts and textiles.
Recommended tour: Ecuador from the Andes to the Amazon
Top tip: If you’re a fan of hot sauce you’re in luck: Ají (their word for hot sauce made from local peppers) goes well on anything, and is available on every table in Ecuador.
With an array of breathtaking destinations and enriching experiences, August offers the perfect opportunity to embark on an unforgettable summer getaway. Whether you choose to bask in the sun on the beaches of Italy, immerse yourself in the cultural treasures of Austria, or venture into the wild landscapes of Scotland, your August holiday promises to be an unforgettable adventure. So, pack your bags and get ready to create lasting memories in some of the best places to visit in August!